Monday, June 12, 2006

Wknd Shitstorm:

Oh man. Brain hurts. Brain hurts.

Saturday was the aforementioned Loose Record BBQ. It was fun. I got their a bit earlier than my drinking comrades. I met some guy who showed me clips of the Cat Power show I was supposed to review, but something got screwed up w/ the list [big bummer] on his mobile phone. Jay was buzzing about; I tried to give him a spatula and then settled down to watch The Shade who are apparently a very good band from Pittsburgh. Eventually Karli and Christen showed up and the rounds of beer pounding and elephant ear chewing, don't ask, began. A few hours, 4 beers, and many wonderful humorous pictures to be posted soon later... we left to go hit up the VICE photo party in Chelsea. The pictures were of your usual Vice fare, squirrels eating pizza in trees, women with milky substances running out of their mouths, strippers sticking their taints in wheelchaired men's faces, Batman, blood. I attempted to drink another beer but seriously it was enough already. Highlight: some guy had this little button that just had like a orange brown swirl that said "Poop" on it. After hanging for a bit I headed home drunk as a skunk. The next morning I woke up with an apple, a beer and a spatula in my purse.

Sunday started off pretty boring. All I wanted to do was eat good food outside in good company. After a few phone calls, I met up with Karli at Yaffa Cafe to eat some yummy salad and make my dream come true. Jeff met up with us after perusing a flea market. He was really excited to have bought his girlfriend a new dress, until we broke it to him that it was a children's outfit, but man the kid has a good heart. We love you Jeffy. Karli and I each took turns demonstrating how it would not fit a full sized female in the middle of the street. After a brief stint at Circuit City we made a pilgrimmage to margaritaville, aka Maryanns, to get faced on pitchers of limey tastiness. 3 pitchers later, I was appropriately sauced and made the long trek home. In my drunken haze I remembered that the Black Hollies were playing Union Pool and decided to stop by on my way home. I greeted the band, who are 3/5 of Rye Coalition, just minutes before they took the stage. It was a really great show. Those boys have influences that run much deeper/further back than most of the current blog rock blandness. They played some rockin' tunes. Jon and Herb can really wail on guitar and Justin's voice is perfect for the 60s influenced rock n roll jams. As they started their last song I left to walk home, drink a bunch of water and pass out in my bed. Listen to the Black Hollies here. Photos of BBQ to come.