Sunday, April 09, 2006

Swingin' from the Gallows

So I was walking through, ahem, Urban Outfitters, cough cough, (while drinking a starbucks on the upper west side mind you. There, I said it) and they started playing one of my favorite Murder City Devils songs. It occurred to me that I had sort of forgotten all about them. That band fucking rules so much it's unbelievable. Deep booming vocals and a blood red Farfisa. They also made the most kickass Christmas song IN THE WORLD, 364 Days. I was working at Insound back in those days, picking and packaging orders for nearly 4 hours every dang day, and would replay that song over and over while Chuckrocksyeah and I would scream the chorus. I find it quite humorous? amazing? unbelievable? that a song can actually make you sympathize with a fictional character, especially one whose sole job is to like, eat cookies and deliver presents while laughing. But that's the fucking POWER OF THE DEVILS.

St. Nicholas, St. Nicholas, at the North Pole

364 days spent all alone

Take off your boots, pour a drink

Try not to cry, try not to think

Try not to think...
When was the last time you went to a show like this?

3 Comments:

Blogger Cameron said...

I found you through Elbo.ws.

Good luck with your new blog.

Keep fighting the good fight.

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best. I'm gonna start forwarding my CS emails to you. Would you like to interview Hard-Fi? How about Editors tix? :)

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cry AND I think. Every time. Even in the Summer on a streetcar. But what are some other AWESOME christmas songs now that it's approaching and us among the wiser are being inundated with unwanted curdled cheese.

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home