Monday, July 24, 2006

Human popsicle

The theme for this past weekend? Sweating balls.

I attended my friend Melisa's wedding which was held in "a whale's vagina" (a.k.a. San Diego). More specifically, it was at Balboa Park which has an abundance of museums, gardens, golf courses, and general picturesque surroundings (read: a great place to get hitched). Having spent 6 years in SD, I thought I knew what to expect in terms of weather. Little did I know that the temperature would reach upwards of 110 degrees, something unheard of for this time of year. The combination of the anomalous heat and my full suit made for a deadly combination. I came close to passing out a few times throughout the course of the day & night. Luckily I had plenty of booze to keep me refreshed.

Besides the too too hot weather, the wedding itself was great and I got to see a bunch of friends from the University of Michigan, some of whom I hadn't seen in over 2 years.

On Sunday, Kathy and I headed to the Hollywood Bowl to catch the Thievery Corporation and Flaming Lips show. We went for the music, but stayed for the solidarity of 18,000 sweaty people jammed into an ampitheather. The crowd was an eclectic mix of hipsters, indie kids, hippies, and raver types, their common bond being the glow stick thingies being distributed at the show. People started connecting their glow sticks together, forming a "giant glow stick across America" deal. I entertained myself by tossing them at the crowd, trying to nail people in the head.

I honestly didn't pay too much attention to Thievery's set - I was more concerned with stuffing my face with the Beard Papa cream puffs somebody had brought. When the Flaming Lips came on, they had their usual grandiose entrance, complete with Wayne in the giant hamster ball, a gang of Santa Claus' onstage, and confetti & balloons being shot everywhere. It turned out that the performance was being taped for an upcoming DVD, so every few minutes Wayne felt compelled to tell the crowd, "c'mon guys, you gotta get crazy and loud. c'mon guys" which basically got most people annoyed since he was dedicating more time to ineffectively hyping up the crowd than playing music. Ultimately, the energy level stayed the same and the crowd started getting antsy, me included. Although when they started playing "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Pt. I" I have to admit I went a little apeshit. They ended their set with "Do You Realize??" and covered Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" for an encore.

After the show, we went back to our tiny studio apt. and sat under a ceiling fan that might as well have been there for decoration.





The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Pt. I

Linda Lamb - Hot Room

Cansei de Ser Sexy - Music Is My Hot Sex

Snoop Dogg - Drop It Like It's Hot (Ghislain Poirier remix)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

1:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home