Monday, June 19, 2006

Get Down Make Love

Saturday night I went to see NIN, Bauhaus and Peaches at Jones Beach. I'm such a jerk and missed Peaches' set. The show said it started at 7, by 7:40 when we walked in Bauhaus was already into their first song... makes me wonder what kind of pigeonhead set they let Peaches play, but I was really sorry to miss her. I really wanted to catch "Tent in Your Pants" and "Fuck or Kill" but sadly, no dice. Bauhaus were extremely awkward. Under no circumstances should you be allowed to see Peter Murphy in the daylight, nevemind on a floating stage off the ocean while he serenades a stick. He had this terribly annoying stage presence where he would run around in circles or else be posing, throwing, or singing to what looked like a broomstick. I think he thought he was the shepard of the night. Only it was clear fucking daylight. Though I love him, it did not work. NIN however were, as always, mindblowing. This was actually the 3rd time I've seen them on this same tour. The first two times at Hammerstein and MSG. I think this one was my favorite, if only because it seems much less chaotic and way more pleasant to see them outside in decent seats. After playing "Dead Souls" off of the Crow soundtrack, Trent spoke the most words I've ever heard at a show and said that he had "a moment" during the song. It reminded him of how much he didn't want to be here 5 years ago and how grateful he was to be where he is now, performing for us. It was sweet, especially since I, too, had a moment during that song. The moments when Trent would begin a song solo on his electric piano were the most heartwrenching and like pure aural sex. There was no encore. As you can see below, Trent has turned into a total bro. He's got guns of steel and a buzzcut to boot. I think he traded in booze and drugs for bench presses and pull-ups.
NIN - The Hand That Feeds (DFA Remix)
There are a whole bunch of good NIN mp3s here. Including Get Down Make Love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home